Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

i used to sell diamonds

Is it just me or is it hard to sell something you've poured your heart & soul into?
I used to sell diamonds, so selling anything should be easy for me. But when it comes to selling something that is a part of who you are, we're talking black and white. I suppose I can pretend that my work is like any other product out there for anyone and everyone, but the reality of it is, it's just not. There are certain individuals who like and appreciate abstract art or funky, bright pieces of pottery. The trick is in finding those unique few. And once you've found them, then you have to let them know in a very nonchalant way that you exist and they can't live without your newest painting...Now that I'm understanding this new found reality, I can now make a plan on how to move forward.

6 comments:

Amanda Makepeace said...

That really is the hardest part--fining your market, those special buyers. I love your shop, now I just need to win the lottery so I can buy from all my favorite artists. :)

Stephanie Amos said...

Thanks Amanda! =)
It just hit me this morning even though the idea has been hanging over me for quite some time. Glad I verbalized it and can move forward now!

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

what an EXCELLENT POST! Isn't it the truth? I have sold books for B&N and coffee for Starbucks! But it is SO HARD TO differentiate the ME from the PRODUCT

Stephanie Amos said...

Thank you Robin!
Isn't it amazing what we do until we actually find our calling? ;)

jacqueline said...

Dearest sweet stephanie, i totally understand this because i feel the same way too about my creations. This is such an inspring and wonderful post! It's nice to be clear and be able to make a plan and move forward! Have a lovely merry happy week and happy april! Love to you!

Stephanie Amos said...

Thank you Jacqueline! It's nice to know that I'm not alone with this challenge. ;)
ox