Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Bragging About Art: Question #1


I just read today's newsletter from Alyson Stanfield about a book called Brag! How to Toot Your Own Horn Without Blowing It by Peggy Klaus. There are twelve questions that are asked in a free questionnaire on Peggy's book website. Alyson shared it and now I would like to as well, only I am going to answer the questions as honestly as I can. I am not very good at bragging or talking about my art to someone I have just met and I thought this would be a great exercise for me and maybe help someone else along the way...


1. What would you and others say are five of your personality pluses?

Well, I could look up the top five personality traits from Google (which I just did), but that doesn't seem very fair. Off the top of my head, I would have to say that I am open minded, passionate, responsible, modest, and hard working.

How do these apply to my art you may ask?
As an artist, I believe that it is imperative to be open minded, like a pre-requisite. If you're not open minded, than how are you going to be able to create any art or enjoy the work of others?

I was going to say compassionate, which is definitely one of my personality traits, but I would like to add passionate for the sake of this exercise. I feel very passionate about my art even though I have a difficult time expressing myself. This is definitely something that I need to work on.

I am a fairly responsible person. A good trait to have when you have a creative business or are working with others on a collaboration, volunteering, or working in a gallery/museum setting.

Modesty can be good and bad. Good because you don't want to come off vain and brag about your art so much that no one wants to even look at it. Bad because you can be too modest and so quiet that no one even knows your an artist since you never even tell anyone.

Hardworking is one trait that I'm not afraid to talk about. I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to work. I love to work, whether it is at home working in the garden, doing housework, or working out in the studio. And this is good when you're an artist because there is ALOT of work always that needs to be done. And I love every bit of it!

1 comment:

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

It's like I'm reading my own answers! :) Only you've put it down way more elegantly as I would have. I'm not really big on words. :) This is an interesting exercise.