Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bragging About Art: Question #2


Okay, since I'm feeling a little ambitious about this exercise, here goes question and answer #2.

2. What are the ten most interesting things you have done or that have happened to you that have contributed to your art career?

1.I took as many art classes as I possibly could during my high school education. If I had any extra study halls or independent studies, I was in the art room.

2.When I was 19, I had quit college and went to Alaska to work on the Bering Sea. This venture was a big part of my life. 3 1/2 years later I decided full heartily to go back to school to learn all I could about art. I still remember the very day that I made that decision. It was as if God was sitting right there with me and we were having a real heart to heart on the deck of the Blue Wave.

3. In 1999 I went to school through NYU and studied abroad in Florence, Italy. There I took Masters and Monuments (the BEST art history course you could imagine), drawing from Roberto, photography with Alessandra, and Italian.

4. I jumped into 3d classes after my return from Italy at Mesa State College, where I completed my undergraduate studies. It was here where I grew as a young artist, finding myself through my art.

5. Making friends in the art community at home and throughout the world. This is a pretty broad statement, but it is one that is worth mentioning. Without other artists and the connections we make, my art wouldn't have been able to evolve into what it is today.

6. Learning how to navigate the Internet, working with social networking sites, blogging, creating a website...All of these have been significant to building a creative business and selling art online and in galleries.

7. I've had two solo shows that were both so much work and a lot of fun. I made sales, gained new clients, and learned that there isn't anything you can't do if you are willing to put in the time and effort it takes to accomplish your goal.

8. I have joined art guilds in my community. Volunteering. Networking. I can't say enough about it. You meet the neatest people, hear stories that are so intriguing. It is stimulating for the creative mind to learn something new. Why not learn from others that have the experience?

9. In 2004, I studied in Prague to teach English as a second language. It was there that I made lifetime friends, shot more images for my archives, ended a chapter in my life and started a new one.

10. I couldn't be where I am today without God and the love and support of my husband, family and friends. Without them, I wouldn't be me, and therefore my art wouldn't be either.


Boy! These are some tough questions! I wonder what's in store for tomorrow???

No comments: